Hello U-ACT! We are excited to relay all of the wonderful information we gleaned from our guest speakers at this month's meeting, as well as update everyone on current and future opportunities to become involved in our initiatives! We hope everyone is doing well, and we look forward to seeing you at next month's meeting on Monday, August 16 at Common Ground!
**Our first guest speaker was Robin Rossmanith, the co-chair of the Northeast Florida Human Trafficking Task Force and owner of Shop to Stop Slavery, a website created to educate consumers about the origins of everyday products. Robin and her family were visiting from Florida and took time out of their busy schedule to attend our meeting! Robin described her work with the Human Trafficking Task Force, as well as allowed U-ACTers to ask questions regarding the work she and her colleagues are doing to educate the public about human trafficking, as well as their work in partnering with local law enforcement and social service agencies and providing human trafficking victims with the services they need and deserve. We would like to thank Robin and her husband for their time and willingness to share. For further information about the Northeast Florida Human Trafficking Task Force or Robin's work there, follow this link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northeast-Florida-Human-Trafficking-Task-Force/105079392865875. For information about Shop to Stop Slavery, please visitshoptostopslavery.com.
**Heather Blanch was our second guest speaker. Heather is home in Indiana for a few short weeks before she returns to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Heather provided us with an overview of Cambodian history, culture, daily life, and current challenges. She described her work with SHE Rescue Home, a shelter for sexually exploited or at-risk girls, as well as her upcoming work with The Hard Places Community as the Research and Development Coordinator for Cambodia. We very much appreciate Heather and her time, passion, and insight! Follow Heather viaher Facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=110728881511&ref=ts or through her blog at http://eleutheroo.blogspot.com/.
Action Area Updates:
1. Our SCTNow fundraiser at Midtown Grill is less than a month away (Aug 21, 7-10:30pm)! If anyone has contacts with big businesses who might be willing to donate items for the silent auction at the event, please contact Laura Pope asap!
2. Please watch for future U-ACT emails with info regarding:
- dates to accompany Sarah to visit Senator Lugar's office to ask for his
support of the CPCA
-Crafting for Others Night – August 24th beginning at 6:30 p.m.
- Amanda Bocik and the RideFor146 team's needs
- the Indy SCTNow Walk that will take place this October
3. Remember to utilize available resources, such as IJM House Party kits, Book Clubs, and the U-ACT Training Kit, to educate family, friends, and the community on the issue of human trafficking.
4. We are looking for a few volunteers to man a table at an event in Bloomington this September 17th and 18th. Please respond to this email if interested and available.
And, as always, if you have ideas you'd like to see become Action Areas, please let us know! We value your input!
Laura and Sarah